The Homes For Heroes Foundation was developed in response to the growing number of military veterans returning to civilian life who are facing crisis.
Our mission is to provide a caring, innovative and comprehensive solution to homelessness among our veterans. We are doing so by:
- Building affordable housing villages for veterans in major cities across Canada where they will be able to successfully transition back into civilian life
- Providing the resources, services and training they will need to achieve the goal of living independently in the long term
Our villages for veterans consist of 15 to 25 individual “tiny homes” arranged in a park-like setting;
- Each home is less than 300 square feet in size, but fully equipped with all the features of a larger home
- Each village also incorporates a central resource centre, counselling office, community garden and other amenities
Veterans Affairs Canada and local social agencies offer individualized counselling and training programs for each veteran;
- Residency in the village is transitional, with the goal of having each veteran leave the village and re-enter mainstream society, employed, stable and self-sufficient
We know that far too many veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces are struggling in their effort to leave the Forces and return to civilian life – and many will find themselves on a long and difficult pathway to homelessness.
It is our vision that all veterans progress toward a secure and self-sufficient life through access to housing and a robust support system